The Pony Club recognises three levels of training:
1) Initial training
2) Safeguarding for Equestrians training (Tutor Lead)
3) Club Safeguarding Officer training (virtual)
Who needs to attend a course?
All individuals who carry out a role in regulated activity/work must attend an approved safeguarding workshop. The only exception to this rule is for:
- First aiders who will only require a disclosure check, and,
- Those at residential camps where each night a minimum of two of the overnight supervisors must have attended an approved safeguarding workshop.
It is strongly recommended that any other persons carrying out regulated activity/work on an overnight basis at residential camps should also attend an approved safeguarding workshop.
What course do I need to attend?
For volunteers, officials and coaches
The Pony Club offers two safeguarding courses:
- Safeguarding for Equestrians (virtual delivery)
- Equestrian Advanced Safeguarding (online refresher)
The first approved safeguarding workshop attended must be face to face or virtual. This may be followed three years later by the online refresher course. However, as a minimum, individuals should attend a face to face/virtual course every six years.
For Branch/Centre Safeguarding Officers
Training is currently being developed and will be launched in the late autumn.
For those residing in Scotland only, please be aware you need to complete Module One from Sports Scotland prior to attending this course. Please ensure you register for a course at least 20 days before taking the virtual course to enable us to set up the registration with Sports Scotland.
Safeguarding for Equestrians (virtual delivery) - click here (scroll down to the bottom)
Please check SPAM for safeguarding course details.
Equestrian Advanced Safeguarding (online refresher) - click here
Club Safeguarding Officer (virtual delivery) - coming soon
Can I use my safeguarding course from another organisation?
An individual who has attended a safeguarding workshop externally delivered can apply for their learning to be taken into consideration as an alternative to attending the Pony Club offering.
Please see the following options.
The Pony Club also has a list of pre-approved courses that can be attended in place of the BEF Safeguarding for Equestrians course. These do not need approval.
The pre-approved courses include:
- UK Coaching: Safeguarding and Protecting Children/ Safeguarding in Sport
- SportScotland: Child Wellbeing and Protection in Sport
- SportScotland: In Safe Hands
- Sport Ireland: Safeguarding and Protecting Young People in Sport
- CPSU Time to Listen
- NSPCC courses (depending on the level)
- NSPCC Child Protection: an Introduction
- Designated Lead Officer 3-day courses offered by your Local Authority
* Please provide a copy of certification to support processing on to PELHAM
Accreditation of Prior Learning (APL)
For those courses not listed on the pre-approved list, the APL procedure should be followed.
The APL form can be downloaded below and should be submitted along with a copy of the certificate of attendance and course content details (e.g. learning outcomes and/or copy of presentation/handout). The procedure is detailed within the form.
To be shared with firstname.lastname@example.org