What is Pony Racing?
Pony Racing is a little like horse racing but on a smaller scale. During the races, riders wear silks (or cross country colours), and get to weigh in, weigh out and parade around The Paddock like jockeys do before the race.
All Pony Club Race Days happen at Licensed Racecourses around the UK and with races from Novice through to Open, there is something for everyone. And you can even bring along your fluffy pony!
Pony Racing is open to Members aged between 9 and 15 years and for ponies under 14.2hh (148cm).
If you like the thrill of going fast and competing on your pony, then pony racing might just be for you!
How Do I Get Involved?
Never raced before? Don't worry, there are many things you can try before you head to the Racecourse with your pony.
You can talk to your Branch or Centre and ask them about getting involved with mounted and unmounted rallies to help give you a taster on what Pony Racing would be like. There are four key areas that could be focused on:
- Balance and fitness exercises - These are aimed to test your balance, ensuring you build muscle in the correct places and are fit enough to take part in the races.
- Equicisor - This is a mechanical horse that gives you the chance to put your forward racing seat into practice and sharpen up your skills.
- Cantering in an enclosed space - Here you can focus on work with bridging reins, the racing position and shortened stirrups.
- Gallops and field practise - This is where both jockey and pony can trial the need for speed and prepare for what it would be like to race.
Pony Racing Authority (PRA)
Since it started in 2004, Pony Racing has become one of the country’s fastest growing equestrian sports and now plays a pivotal role in training and developing many talented young riders.
Find out more about the PRA here
How Do I Progress Further?
We have several opportunities for members to take up Pony Racing on a more competitive basis.
PC/PRA Training Days
These days are kindly supported by The Racing Foundation.
Pony Club Coaches and BHA accredited Jockey Coaches work together to provide the best opportunity to introduce children and parents to pony racing.
Members are able to
- Ride their own ponies in a controlled environment and on the gallops under top riding tuition
- Learn more about balance and control in a forward seat
- Work with a fitness expert
- Use traditional racing equipment like an equicisor
- Gain vital advise about rider and pony fitness and nutrition
- Learn more about tack, race day procedures and etiquette
The training day also offers the opportunity for Members and their ponies to be assessed on their ability, competence and confidence in order to qualify for a Pony Club Race Day and be eligible for PRA races.
Pony Race Days
There are three types of Pony Racing:
- Pony Club Race Days
- PRA Point to Point Fixtures
- PRA Racecourse Series
For all the details on The Pony Racing Authority (PRA) fixtures and series, please click here.