We are pleased to be a part of an exciting opportunity for members to take part in an International Virtual Dressage Competition alongside other members from Pony Club International Alliance (PCIA) countries.
Four Members will be selected to represent Pony Club UK in each class of this year’s competition.
Please see below for the classes available and how to apply!
|Class Name||Dressage Test||Eligibility|
|Class 1||Training Level||USDF Training Level Test 1 (2023)||14 years and under*|
|Class 2||First Level||USDF First Level Test 1 (2023)||18 years and under* and hold C Test|
|Class 3||Second Level||USDF Second Level Test 1 (2023)||25 years and under* and hold B (Care) Test|
|Class 4||Third Level||USDF Third Level Test 1 (2023)||25 years and under*|
Pas de Deux Freestyle to Music (Training, Level 1 or Level 2)
Fancy Dress optional
|No age restriction|
|Class 6||Prix Caprilli||NZPCA Prix Caprilli Test Y||No age restriction|
* Age as of 1st January 2023
Pony Club members can apply to take part if they meet the class eligibility above and will be selected by the Dressage Committee. For Classes 1, 2, 3 and 4 selections will be based on the submission of a video of the member riding the test specified below:
- Class 1 - Member to submit a video riding PC Novice Championship Test 2017
- Class 2 - Member to submit a video riding PC Intermediate Championship Test 2014
- Class 3 - Member to submit a video riding PC Open Championship Test 2018
- Class 4 – Member to submit a video riding BD Advanced Medium 85 2009
Applications can be made using the form at this link - http://events.pcuk.org/?p=10735
Applications close on Monday 10th April 2023.
If selected, the member must be able to ride, film and submit their team entry test between 15th and 30th May 2023. Please note that there may be an entry fee for selected members.
The Pony Club rules (https://pcuk.org/sports/dressage/) with the following modifications/ clarifications:
- Tests should be ridden specifically for this show and during the specified period.
- Any video which is suspected of having been filmed during another competition will not be accepted.
- It is not necessary to submit the video of your first attempt. You may repeat the test as many times as you need and submit only the best video.
- Pony Club uniform from respective jurisdiction.
- Long or short riding boots accepted.
- White gloves must be worn.
3. Double Bridles
- Not permitted for Classes 1, 2, 3 or 6.
- Permitted for Class 4 and Class 5 (Pas de Deux Freestyle to Music) tests ridden at Third Level or above.
- Film from C, the judge’s position.
- If filming on a smartphone, hold the device in landscape orientation.
- Use some zoom when the horse/pony and rider are at the A end of the arena.
- Entries may be marked down or disqualified if the judge cannot see the entirety of both rider and horse/pony clearly during every movement, at the discretion of the judge.
5. Class 5 Pas de Deux Freestyle to Music
- USDF 2019 Pas de Deux Rules and Guidelines
- Pas de deux may be performed at any level. Please specify the level together with your video submission.
- Fancy dress for riders and horses/ ponies is welcomed for this class.
Video hints and tips
You will need a friend or parent to film your test for you. Ask them to follow these instructions to ensure your test can be judged online.
- Film from behind the judge's position at the C marker, outside the arena
- If it's a sunny day, try to ensure the sun is behind the camera
- If you can, mount the device on a tripod to keep it steady
- If filming on a smartphone, hold the device in the landscape orientation
- Start filming a short time before the rider enters at A, e.g. as the rider passes the E or B marker
- Keep the horse and rider in the centre of the frame
- Sound must be recorded.
- Avoid excessive zooming in and out - the judge will need to see the part of the arena the competitor is in and the whole horse and rider clearly
- Some zooming is necessary when the horse and rider are at the far end of the arena
- The horse and rider should fill about half of the vertical space in the frame whenever possible.
- We can accept the following file formats: MOV, MOD, AVI, MP4, M4V, WMV
Option 1: Uploading your video directly
- Go to our show website
- Find your class and your entry under your class heading. Select the Edit button for your entry and then the Upload from the menu.
- Follow the instructions on-screen
- The video may take some time depending on your broadband speed and size of the file
Reducing your video file size
- If your video exceeds the file size allowed you will need to compress it
- You can do this using video editing software such as Windows Movie Maker (on a PC) or iMovie (on Mac)
Option 2: Upload your video to YouTube first then paste a link
- Upload your video to your YouTube account and ensure it plays back in full
- Make sure you set your video settings to unlisted or public
- Go to show website; find and select your entry (as above for option 1) but select the Link option from the menu.
- Copy the link to your YouTube video and paste it into the insert link box
A huge congratulations to all of The Pony Club Members across the world for taking part in the Pony Club International Alliance Dressage Competition. Here in the UK we are pleased to see the success of our members in all of the classes.