What is the Musical Ride?
The Musical Ride is a spectacle not to be missed!
Teams of between 6 and 12 riders perform their own choreographed routine to music, wearing themed costumes or Branch/Centre sweatshirts.
Marks can be achieved for the ride content, choice of music and overall artistic presentation and so we encourage Pony Clubs to practise and prepare a ride this summer!
Some of the previous themes we have seen include: Bake Off, Super Heroes, Pirates of the Caribbean, Bugsy Malone, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Beauty and the Beast, Lancaster Bombers, Matadors, Grease, Jungle Book, James Bond, Thriller and 101 Dalmatians to name just a few!
Musical Ride Competition 2023
This year we were excited to bring back the Musical Ride Competition to the JCB Pony Club Championships held at Offchurch Bury, Warwickshire!
It was held on Saturday 19th August 2023, with eleven teams entered.
The competition is open to Branch or Centre teams of between 6 and 12 riders. It will be a direct entry competition with no qualifying rounds, entries priced at £155 per team, irrespective of size. Teams perform their own choreographed routine to music, wearing themed costumes or Branch/Centre sweatshirts. Marks are awarded for the ride content, choice of music and overall artistic presentation.
Some previous themes include Bake Off, Superheroes, Pirates of the Caribbean, Bugsy Malone, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Lancaster Bombers, Matadors, Grease, James Bond, and Thriller - to name just a few!
Comments from previous competitors include:
“we had an absolute blast” “hopefully we are starting a new tradition” “they wanted to show that dressage is properly fun” “we rode in all weathers” “they loved working together as a team” “wonderful-the older ones helping the younger members” “the children loved dressing up” “these memories will last a lifetime” “it was the best of Pony Club, togetherness, horsemanship and sheer joy”.
There will also be a Virtual option for those not able to travel to the Championships.
- The team should contain between 6 and 12 riders
- The team can be from a Branch or Centre or a combination of both (mixed teams are permitted)
- Dress – correct head and footwear (costume optional)
- Saddlery – any normal tack and riding bit is permitted
- Arena – 20m x 60m
- Duration – the duration of the display within the arena should be no longer than 5 minutes (an additional 1 ½ minutes is allowed for entry and exit, music is permitted for this)
- All rides must enter the arena at A
- Outside assistance – voice, bell, whistle etc is not permitted
- Props – there should be no physical props inside the arena. Small, unobtrusive handheld props are permitted.
- Please ensure all hat tags are clearly visible.
- Lead rein riders are permitted – leaders must wear a correctly tagged hat.
- Entry fee - £155 per team