It is important that we know about accidents and injuries that involve our members whether at a Pony Club organised event, or somewhere else. The type of record and report made depends upon the nature of the incident and the injuries sustained. It should be noted that injuries to members, coaches and volunteers are included in these requirements. If in doubt, report it.
Accident Reporting Process
The process for reporting incidents and accidents is:
1) Incident occurs.
2) If there was no injury or damage, complete an incident log and keep it locally. See below for links and further information.
Accident/Serious Near Miss
1) Accident or near miss occurs.
2) Online Accident form must be completed by nominated person. Note: there is a printable version of the form which can be completed at the time of the accident, but the online form must be completed as soon as possible afterwards. See below for links and further information.
3) When an accident form has been completed, the Pony Club admin, branch admin (normally the DC), and the insurers will receive an email to advise of a new submission.
4) Submitted form is reviewed and verified by the insurers and relevant parties as required.
5) A review of the accident and follow up action is taken as required. This may result in contact from The Pony Club or the insurers directly.
- An incident is defined as an unplanned or uncontrolled event that does not cause injury or damage.
- An accident is defined as an unplanned or uncontrolled event that causes an injury, however small, or damage.
- A serious near miss is defined an unplanned or uncontrolled event that did not cause injury or damage, but had the potential to, or narrowly avoided a serious accident.
Accident reporting documents must be retained for three years after the date of the incident or accident. Where an injured person is under 18 years, all accident forms should be kept for three years after their eighteenth birthday. Electronic copies of submitted forms are acceptable.
Accident Reporting Links
All Injury accidents and serious near misses should be reported on the links below:
Branches - Complete this accident form for all accidents that result in an injury, near miss or damage to property that occur at a Pony Club Organised Event: Click here to report an accident
Members - Complete this accident form for all accidents that result in an injury, near miss or damage to property that occur outside of an organised Pony Club Event, for example while hacking: Click here to report an accident
The Incident Report Log should be used to log all non injury incidents that occur during any Pony Club organised event. Example templates for Incident Report Logs can be downloaded below.
If an official, coach or volunteer is injured, the Branch/Centre must inform The Pony Club Health & Safety Team to determine if the incident is reportable under RIDDOR.